NEW DELHI/PATNA: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on Sunday took up the probe in the Muzaffarpur rape case and registered cases against officials and employees of the Bihar government-funded shelter home under Sections 120 (B), 376 and 34 of the IPC and Sections 4, 6, 8, 10 and 12 of the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act.
Meanwhile, police found a secret passage leading out of the shelter to a nearby press. Sedatives that were administered to the minor girls before they were taken out at night, have also been recovered.
The NGO, Seva Sankalp Evam Vikas Samiti (SSVS) that runs the shelter has been blacklisted and the girls have been shifted to other shelter homes in Bihar.
According to police officials involved in the investigation, the seven women employees of the shelter facilitated the sexual assaults on the minor girls residing there.“According to the victims’ statements, the women employees not only allowed the sexual assaults by male staffers and visitors inside the home, they often took the girls out at night,” said a police official.
The frequency with which the inmates, aged between seven and 18, were taken outside the shelter has led the investigators to believe that SSVS was part of sex racket for at least three years.Indu Kumari, the de facto head of the shelter who was the closest to Brajesh Thakur, SSVS’ head, had been frequently bringing male visitors to the shelter and letting them rape the girls.
At least seven girls have accused Brajesh Thakur and child protection officer Roshan Kumar of raping them and threatening them with dire consequences to keep them quiet, said sources. The Bihar government on Sunday said it would urge Patna High Court to monitor the CBI probe. The Opposition parties had been demanding for a HC-monitored probe by CBI.