SRINAGAR: The National Investigation Agency (NIA) has arrested a third Kashmiri youth for his alleged involvement in 2016 fidayeen attack on Nagrota Army camp in Jammu and Kashmir in which seven army men were killed.
The NIA spokesman said that a youth for Srinagar was arrested by NIA for his involvement in the Nagrota camp attack.
The arrested youth was identified as Ashiq Baba R/o Alochibagh area of uptown Srinagar.
“Ashiq was produced in Special NIA Court Jammu today,” the NIA spokesman said.
Seven army men were killed and three others injured in fidayeen attack on Army’s Nagrota camp in Jammu on November 29. All the three attackers, who belonged to Jaish-e-Mohammad, were also killed in the encounter.
With Ashiq’s arrest, NIA has so far arrested three Kashmiris for their involvement in facilitating the fidayeen attack.
NIA had last week arrested 34-year-old Tariq Ahmad Dar, a timber dealer of south Kashmir’s Pulwama district.
Earlier, on May 26, NIA had made first arrest in the case after over one and a half year by arresting 50-year-old Syed Muneer -Ul-Hassan Qadri R/o Hurhama, Lolab in border district of Kupwara.
According to NIA ,Muneer during questioning has revealed to interrogators that the attack was carried out by Jaish militants and conspiracy for the attack was hatched in Pakistan.
“Muneer has revealed that he was in touch with the JeM leadership in Pakistan and had received freshly infiltrated group of three Pakistani militants from the Samba sector a day before the attack. They subsequently stayed at a hotel in Jammu and then left the attackers at Nagrota outside the army camp late at night and proceeded to the Kashmir,” the investigating agency has disclosed.
Sources in NIA said further investigation in the case is going on and more arrests are expected in the coming days.
They said they are investigating how the three, who were facilitators in the attack, were in touch with Pakistani leadership and where from they picked the three Jaish fidayeen.
Northern command chief visits Siachen
The newly appointed Army’s Northern command chief Lt Gen Ranbir Singh, today visited the forward posts at Siachen Glacier, the world’s highest battlefield.
“Lt Gen Singh interacted with the officials troops at Siachen base camp. He was briefed on the operational preparedness and the current situation,” defence spokesman in Srinagar, Colonel Rajesh Kalia said.
He complimented the troops for their tenacious resolve and unstinting commitment despite their deployment in extreme harsh weather and inhospitable terrain.