Assam lynching: 23 arrests so far, crackdown on social media users posting hate messages

With three more arrests, the police have so far taken 19 persons in custody in connection with the lynching of two men in Assam's Karbi Anglong district, a police spokesman said today.

Published: 11th June 2018 04:03 PM  |   Last Updated: 11th June 2018 09:04 PM   |  A+A-

Handcuffs

Image used for representational purpose | File Photo

Express News Service

GUWAHATI: The Assam Police have launched a crackdown on social media users posting hate and offensive messages even as the number of people arrested so far for their role in Friday’s incident of lynching of two persons from Guwahati by a mob in Central Assam’s Karbi Anglong has gone up to 23.

In the past two days, the police arrested over a dozen people from different parts of the state for posting objectionable messages on social media. An Additional Director General of Police has been entrusted to keep vigil on social networking platforms.

Karbi Anglong Superintendent of Police, GV Siva Prasad, said of the 23 people arrested in connection with the lynching incident, 18 were currently in judicial custody. He said a special investigation team (SIT) had been constituted to get to the bottom of the case. The four-member SIT will be headed by an additional SP. 

The police said six people had been arrested in Nagaon, a neighbouring district of Karbi Anglong, for allegedly intimidating Karbis (tribesmen) and posting an offensive video on Facebook.

“There were some boys, who moved around the town yesterday (Sunday) in trying to intimidate some Karbi people. We picked up 12 to 13 of them and following the investigation, we found that six of them were associated. So, a case was registered and the six were arrested. One of these guys had made a Facebook video. The accused went to houses to find out if they had Karbis as tenants. They also went to a bus stand and tried to find out if people and buses were leaving for Karbi Anglong. They also tried to check people’s identity on the roads,” a senior police official said. 

The circulation of fake and offensive comments through social media caused the exodus of some Karbis. Requesting anonymity, a senior police official told The New Indian Express that a section of the tribesmen fled cities and towns.

“Some people are going back to Karbi Anglong. Actually, they are worried. The fear factor is there. You can’t say it is exodus but you can’t deny it either. The fear stems from the bad role being played by some users on social media. Posting of objectionable comments has gone down after the police started cracking down on them,” he said. 

He also said that confidence-building measures were put in place. The situation is by and large peaceful, he signed off.

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp