Fire broke out at the out-patient department at the Goa Medical College (GMC) Tuesday morning, causing chaos but no casualties at the state's largest hospital, located at a short distance from Panaji, officials said.
"No one was injured as hospital authorities evacuated patients as well as the attendant and the medical staff immediately after sparks, following a possible short-circuit, were noticed," a police official said.
"We have shifted all the patients to a government-run guest house were all the medical facilities are also being made available. The fire started in a pharmacy located in the hospital. The fire spread from there," GMC dean V.N. Jindal told IANS.
The top official said: "A probe has been ordered into the incident."
"The officials are in the process of assessing the damage caused by the fire," a fire department official said.