Pillars of Chola era adorn the sanctum of this temple

Melur, a small village in Thiruvallur District, is well-known to devotees of Siva and Parvati as it is home to the Thirumanangishwarar temple.

Published: 13th June 2018 04:00 AM  |   Last Updated: 13th June 2018 12:00 AM   |  A+A-

Melur, a small village in Thiruvallur District, is well-known to devotees of Siva and Parvati as it is home to the Thirumanangishwarar temple. The main entrance on the east side leads to the circumambulatory passage (prakaram) where the south-facing sanctum of Goddess Parvati, worshipped as Thiruvudai Amman is situated with a flag-post (dvajastambham) in front.

The large image of Thiruvudai Amman with a benign countenance is, according to tradition, made of one piece of a large stone. Goddess Parvati enshrined in the Adipurishwarar temple in Thiruvottiyur as Vadivudai Amman and the same deity enshrined in the Masilamanishwarar temple in Thirumullaivayil as Kodiyidai Amman are said to have been made from  other parts of the same stone and are the three Shakti temples near Chennai.  Thiruvudai Amman is known as Iccha Shakti (who fulfills the wishes of devotees), Vadivudai Amman is Gnana Shakti (who showers divine knowledge on worshippers) and Kodiyidai Amman in Kriya Shakti (helping supplicants in their actions).

Devotees worship in all the three Shakti temples on full-moon (Pournami) days, especially if it  is on a Friday. Thiruvudai Amman is worshipped in the morning, Vadivudai Amman in the afternoon and Kodiyidai Amman in the evening.

The main sanctum with a Svayambhu (self-manifest) Siva Linga worshipped as Thirumanangishwarar faces east with a Vijayanagara stone mandapa in front and also a dvajastambham. The sanctum has an inner prakaram with pillars of the Chola era. Plenty of inscriptions are etched on the outer walls. The oldest of these is dated 1280 AD and belongs to the reign of Vijaya Gandagopala, a chieftain of the Telugu Choda dynasty. It records a gift of money to the image of Thiruppalaivanam Udaiya Nayanar in the temple of Thirumananga Udaiya Nayanar. Another epigraph of Vijayagandagopala’s reign is dated 1253 AD and records the gift of a lamp. There is also a Pandyan inscription which is unfortunately damaged.

Name of deity
Goddess Parvati is worshipped as Thiruvudai Amman Sacred tree  

The Sthala Vriksham of this temple is the
Sara Konrai

Historic inscriptions
Epigraphs of the 13th century are etched here

Chithra Madhavan

cityexpresschn@gmail.com

The writer is a historian who focuses on temple architecture

Stay up to date on all the latest Opinions news with The New Indian Express App. Download now

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.