*I felt Ravi Shastri could have been the batting coach & Kumble the bowling coach: Erapalli Prasanna former cricketer
*We will miss him, but very happy as Indian team cant find such a loyal coach: Kumble's wife
*Need to sit down with Sourav, Sachin, Laxman and Dravid and need to do what is best for Indian cricket: Anil Kumble
*Have a short and long plan for the upcoming series, but I cannot plan alone; need players to pitch in: Anil Kumble, India Head coach
*It’s a huge responsibility, ready to take this role. Coaches come later, it’s always players first. Strategy will be to win: Anil Kumble
* Newly appointed Indian cricket team's head coach Anil Kumble responds to the news, says "Great honour to be back in Indian dressing room, It's a huge responsibility. "
It's a great honour to be back in Indian dressing room in a different role: Anil Kumble, India coach pic.twitter.com/69796Fg9zg— ANI (@ANI_news) June 23, 2016
*Kumble is the highest wicket-taker for India till date and third in the international list behind Muttiah Muralitharan and Shane Warne, emerged as a front-runner in the last few days even though he has no experience in coaching in the international arena.
*Kumble's stint as a mentor with IPL teams such as Royal Challengers Bangalore and Mumbai Indians as well as his vast experience as an international cricketer might have tilted the scale in his favour.
*The former leg-spinner played 132 Test matches and 271 ODIs in a career spanning close to two decades. Kumble finished his Test career with 619 scalps and accumulated 337 ODI wickets which put his combined tally at 956 in two formats. The leg-spinner was the only bowler after England'sJim Laker to have taken all 10 wickets in a Test innings.
* England Cricketer Kevin Pietersen has congratulated Anil Kumble over taking up the coach's duty.
*Kumble's first assignment with the national team will be the gruelling four-match Test tour to the West Indies next month
* Thakur thanks Ravi Shastri tand says that the former cricketer did a commendable job as the director of the team.
* Congratulatory messages have started pouring out for the new head coach of team India.
Anil Kumble will be an excellent organiser and a top team man. And knowing him, he will respect the fact that the captain runs the team.— Harsha Bhogle (@bhogleharsha) June 23, 2016
*Shirke: The transition has to be smooth. It;s a processional appointment. We want to follow the process.
*Shirke: Kumble is transitioning from a great player to a coach and is expected to be one the bests.
* Batting and bowling coaches are to be revealed later.
* Shirke: This is the first time there was an elaborate process including interviews.
* BCCI Honorary secretary Ajay Shirke explains why its a one-year contract for Kumble.
* Anurag Thakur: We wanted the best. We deserve the best. So Kumble has been appointed. He is a match winner.
* But listen, its only a one year contract.
* BCCI names Anil Kumble as the new coach.
The BCCI announces the appointment of Mr. Anil Kumble as Head Coach of the Indian Cricket Team for one year. pic.twitter.com/yZNohzFfwc— BCCI (@BCCI) June 23, 2016
* The final announcement of the next coach of the Indian cricket team is likely to happen shortly.
*BCCI president Anurag Thakur was expected to make the big announcement at 5 PM in a press conference at Dharamsala. However the conference is being delayed with last-minute meetings taking place.
* Sources say that Indian spin great Anil Kumble is likely to get the job as the cricket advisory committee was impressed by his presentation. The committee comprising of former Indian cricket greats like Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly, VVS Laxman felt that a lot of plans that Kumble had for the team were feasible and could be implemented.
*Media reports suggests that another frontrunner Ravi Shastri will be part of the Indian contingent as batting coach.
*The sport's governing body had shortlisted 21 candidates out of 57 applicants in which former Indian Cricketer Anil Kumble and Ravi Shastri have emerged as top contenders.
“Our attempt is to ensure that the announcement is made Thursday on the third day of the annual conclave in Dharamsala. We expect to make an announcement in this regard by this evening,” BCCI president Anurag Thakur told the media at Dharamsala.>
The BCCI is presently hosting its first ever four-day annual conclave at the HPCA Stadium in Dharamsala.
The BCCI's advisory committee, appointed to pick the Indian head coach, will forward the final choice to honorary secretary Ajay Shirke.
The date for forwarding the name was previously reported to be June 24.
The three-member BCCI's cricket advisory panel comprising eminent cricketers Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly and VVS Laxman had interviewed the shortlisted 21 candidates.
Former Indian cricketers Anil Kumble, Pravin Amre and Lalchand Rajput, along with other aspirants were interviewed on Tuesday.
Last week, the sport's governing body had shortlisted 21 candidates out of 57 applicants for the post of head coach of the Indian team after they met the primary criteria specified by the BCCI.
This selection comes as former cricketer Ravi shastri as the team director's contract ends.
(With input from agencies)