Hope Solo accuses former FIFA President Sepp Blatter of sexually assaulting her

The former US women's team goalkeeper said Blatter grabbed her rear end shortly before the two appeared onstage at the Ballon d'Or awards ceremony in 2013.

Published: 11th November 2017 09:51 AM  |   Last Updated: 11th November 2017 09:51 AM   |  A+A-

In this Jan. 7, 2013, file photo, Abby Wambach, left, of the United States is presented the FIFA Women's World Player of the Year award by Hope Solo, center, goalkeeper of the U.S. team, and FIFA President Sepp Blatter, right, during the FIFA Ballon d'Or Gala held at the Kongresshaus in Zurich, Switzerland. | AP

By Associated Press

Hope Solo told a Portuguese newspaper that former FIFA President Sepp Blatter sexually assaulted her at the Ballon d'Or awards ceremony in 2013.

In an interview published Friday in the newspaper Expresso, Solo said Blatter grabbed her rear end shortly before the two appeared onstage at the annual soccer awards event.

A representative for Solo confirmed Friday to The Associated Press that the report was accurate and said the former goalkeeper for the U.S. women's national team had no further comment on the matter.

Blatter could not immediately be reached for comment by the AP, but the embattled former head of soccer's governing body told the Guardian newspaper: "This allegation is ridiculous."

Solo has been dogged by a number of off-the-field controversies. Notably, a domestic violence case stemming from a 2014 altercation at a family member's home in Washington state.

Solo anchored the U.S. team in goal during its 2015 Women's World Cup championship run, allowing just three goals in seven games with five shutouts during the tournament.

For her career, Solo has made 202 total appearances with the national team, with 153 wins and an international-record 102 shutouts.

Solo's tenure with the national team ended following last year's Olympics in Brazil when the Americans were ousted by Sweden in the quarterfinals. Afterward, Solo called the Swedish team "cowards" for their defensive style of play.

She was suspended from the team shortly thereafter and has not returned.

Blatter was suspended from office and banned from soccer for six years following allegations of a widespread corruption scandal that came to light in 2015. Both U.S. and Swiss officials cooperated in the investigation, which is ongoing, and more than 40 people have been indicted.

Blatter has also had a history of what many consider to be sexist behaviour concerning the women's game.

U.S. forward Alex Morgan has said that Blatter failed to recognize her at the annual award event in 2012, even though she was one of three nominees for the women's Player of the Year.

Blatter also famously argued in 2004 that players could boost the popularity of the women's game by wearing tighter shorts.

Stay up to date on all the latest Football news with The New Indian Express App. Download now

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.