India to face Kenya in Intercontinental Cup final 

India will face Kenya in the summit clash of Intercontinental Cup after the African side hammered a listless Chinese Taipei 4-0 in the last league match.

Published: 08th June 2018 11:36 PM  |   Last Updated: 08th June 2018 11:36 PM   |  A+A-

Earlier, India had beaten Kenya by 3-0. | AP


MUMBAI: India will face Kenya in the summit clash of Intercontinental Cup after the African side hammered a listless Chinese Taipei 4-0 in the last league match of the four-nation football tournament here today.

After today's result, Kenya, India and New Zealand ended on six points each from two wins and the Kiwis missed out on the basis of goal-difference.

Kenya made it to the final to be played on Sunday on better goal difference of plus two as against plus one of New Zealand.

India has a goal difference of plus seven.

India had beaten Kenya (3-0) and Chinese Taipei (5-0) before losing to New Zealand (1-2).

Chinese Taipei were already out of the tournament having suffered consecutive losses to India (5-0) and New Zealand (1-0).

They were the only side who did not score a single goal.

Dennis Odhiambo gave Kenya the lead in the 52nd minute before Joackins Atudo made it 2-0 three minutes later as he converted a penalty kick.

Substitute Timothy Otieno scored Kenya's third goal in the 69th minute while Atudo made it 4-0 in the 88th minute.

Ovella Ochieng swung in a corner into the centre of the box where an unmarked Odhiambo netted the ball to give his side the lead.

For the third goal, Otieno chased a routine pass towards the Chinese Taipei goalkeeper who missed it and the Kenyan forward slotted the ball home.

Atudo then completed the tally from a rebound.

Earlier, Kenya had a chance to take the lead in the fourth minute as their strikers built up an attack but Miheso Cliffton, instead of chipping over the goalkeeper, shot straight and the Chinese Taipei custodian managed to keep it at bay.

In the 19th minute, Kenya wasted another chance to score.

Jockins Atudo gave a through ball to Mutamba, who failed to convert it.

Later, Duncon Otieno took a shot from close range but that flew over the bar.

Chinese Taipei suddenly counter-attacked and had three good chances to go ahead.

The best came in the 29th minute when Hao-Wei Chan released Ching-Ming Wang on the overlap into the box and the striker took a shot, but it fell onto the safe hands of Patrick Matasi.

At the half way mark, the scoreline was 0-0.

Stay up to date on all the latest Football news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp