Cristiano Ronaldo committed to Juventus despite Champions League flop, says Allegri

The five-time Ballon d'Or winner had been bidding for a sixth Champions League title to add to his four won with Real Madrid and one with Manchester United.

Published: 19th April 2019 07:28 PM  |   Last Updated: 19th April 2019 07:28 PM   |  A+A-

Ronaldo scored six of his teams' 14 Champions League goals this season and has 19 so far in Serie A | AP

By AFP

MILAN: Cristiano Ronaldo is committed to Juventus next season despite his bitter disappointment at the Italian giants Champions League flop, coach Massimiliano Allegri revealed on Friday.

Allegri's injury-hit side host Fiorentina on Saturday needing just a point to lift their eighth straight Serie A title, days after a shock home 2-1 defeat to the Dutch side that saw them eliminated 3-2 on aggregate.

"Cristiano is the future of Juventus. He has done very well this year and will do so next season, of course, he is disappointed like all of us but he's calm about it," said Allegri.

"Cristiano has had an extraordinary season and will play tomorrow."

Five-time Ballon d'Or winner Ronaldo had been bidding for a sixth Champions League title to add to his four won with Real Madrid and one with Manchester United.

The 34-year-old joined Juventus from Real last summer in a 100 million-euro ($117 million) deal which runs until 2022, with a reported annual salary of 31 million euros.

He scored six of his teams' 14 Champions League goals this season and has 19 so far in Serie A, four behind leading scorer Fabio Quagliarella.

"Ronaldo's arrival did not give us any certainty of winning the Champions League," continued Allegri.

"Barcelona play a semi-final this year for the first time after four years and they have (Lionel) Messi. Football is not just about individuals.

"We have to put the disappointment of the elimination in the Champions League behind us."

Injuries have hit Juve hard ahead of the weekend's clash, with Sami Khedira announcing yesterday that he is set to have season-ending knee surgery, while Allegri revealed that key attacker Mario Mandzukic could also miss the rest of the season.

"(Goalkeeper) Mattia Perin is out until the end of the season, as is Sami Khedira and maybe Mario Mandzukic." he said.

Meanwhile, striker Paulo Dybala will be out for three weeks and Douglas Costa and Jose Caceres for 10 days each, while defender Giorgio Chiellini could be back for next week's trip to Inter Milan.

However, with a 17-point lead over Napoli Allegri's side are almost certainties to lift their 35th league title as they cement their domestic dominance despite continental disappointment.

"The eighth consecutive Scudetto is a source of pride for everyone. Once it's sealed we all have to enjoy it, it wouldn't make sense not to celebrate it."

Stay up to date on all the latest Football news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp