CHENNAI: It has been more than a week since boxer Vikas Krishan's hearing got over and the Boxing Federation of India (BFI) is yet to take further action on the matter. The 24-year-old is out of the national camp and practising in Pune. Five others, who have also qualified for the World Championships, are currently part of the camp in Patiala.
According to BFI disciplinary committee chief Asit Banerjee, the panel has not received hearing records concerning four top officials — Jay Kowli (BFI secretary general), Nirmolak Singh (Jammu & Kashmir association secretary), RK Sacheti (senior official) and Anil Bohidar (Odisha association secretary).
“We completed the hearing on May 30 and were expecting statements from key officials, without which we can't hand over our report on the case,” Banerjee told Express.
“We are also yet to get the proceedings of the entire hearing in writing as it is mandatory to hand a proof before we present our findings to the federation,” he added.
Banerjee said that the panel, which also includes Rajesh Bhandari (Himachal Pradesh association president) and Nirwan Mukherjee (Uttarakhand association chief), has been in touch with each other. They have already notified the BFI president's office on the lack of action.
One of the seven boxers to have secured a ticket to the World Championship from the Asian Championship in Takshent last month, Vikas had forfeited his semifinal, a decision which led to the formation of the disciplinary committee.
Vikas, who deposed before the BFI panel, wanted to train under Narender Rana, who is also part of the national camp. “He has been undergoing intense training for the last two weeks with the World Championship in mind,” Rana said from Pune.
“I was called for an inter-services event and could not be part of the national camp. Vikas, who shares a good understanding with me, wanted to train under me. We sought written permission, which the federation granted us. I'm happy with his progress,” he added.
Rana was also a part of the team in Uzbekistan. Part of the senior setup since 2003, he said Vikas had taken permission from BFI to take part in the World Series of Boxing. “The chief coach (SR Singh) and federation had informed him that he can take part.”