MILAN: Italy's former US Open finalist Roberta Vinci announced Thursday that she will retire from tennis after the Rome WTA tournament next May.
In a social media post, the 34-year-old said that she wanted her final match to be a party -- and invited fans to be her guests.
Vinci reached the final of the US Open in 2015, defeating Serena Williams in the semi-finals to end the American's hopes of a calendar Grand Slam.
She went on to lose the final to compatriot Flavia Pennetta.
"I've decided to continue and return to the court, but not for the whole year," Vinci told Gazzetta Dello Sport.
"I'll finish at the Foro Italico. In the middle of the season I will say goodbye to tennis and it's something I've considered for a long time. I've decided to make one last appearance in front of the Italian public as a way of saying thanks to all Italians."
Vinci -- now ranked 117 -- was a former world number one doubles player, winning all four Grand Slam titles with partner Sara Errani.
She reached a career high singles ranking of seventh in May last year, winning 10 WTA singles titles, the first in Bogota in 2007 and last at Saint Petersburg in 2016. She also won 25 doubles titles.