Defending champion Serena Williams entered for 'family-friendly' Australian Open

The defending women's champion was among 98 of the 100 top women, and all of the men's top 100, to be "confirmed" for the season's opening Grand Slam.

Published: 08th December 2017 08:35 AM  |   Last Updated: 08th December 2017 08:35 AM   |  A+A-

Defending Australian Open champion Serena Williams with the trophy (File | AP)

By AFP

SYDNEY: New mum Serena Williams has accepted a place at the Australian Open and is "anticipated to return" to the tournament in January, less than five months after giving birth, organisers said Friday.

The defending women's champion was among 98 of the 100 top women, and all of the men's top 100, to be "confirmed" for the season's opening Grand Slam, they said.

World number ones Simona Halep and 16-time Grand Slam champion Rafael Nadal will both be in Melbourne, but all eyes will be on Williams, who won this year's tournament while pregnant.

Tournament director Craig Tiley said this week it was "highly likely" she will make her comeback at the opening Grand Slam of the season, and he repeated those sentiments Friday.

"Last year's tournament broke all of the records and we look forward to welcoming back new mum Serena as she attempts to equal Margaret Court's 24 Grand Slams," he said in a statement.

"We are definitely a family-friendly event and many players including reigning champion Roger Federer travel with their children to Melbourne so we remain optimistic that she will return."

Williams gave birth to daughter Alexis Olympia in September and married Reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian last month.

The tournament is also set to see the return of Novak Djokovic, Andy Murray, Kei Nishikori and Stan Wawrinka, who have all been out with injuries.

"We have been in regular contact with Andy Murray, Kei Nishikori and Stan Wawrinka, who are all set for the Aussie summer," said Tiley. 

"They will all have lower rankings meaning there's a real chance we'll finally see a breakthrough from one of the rising stars like Alexander Zverev, Dominic Thiem or David Goffin."

The only two players within the top 100 to pull out so far are Russian world number 12 Svetlana Kuznetsova, who recently underwent wrist surgery, and China's Zheng Saisai, with a right knee injury.

The tournament takes place from January 15-28.

Stay up to date on all the latest Tennis news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

facebook twitter whatsapp