Laziness and procrastination, which usually work unfavourably for persons, saved 45-year-old Krishnavenito’s life after she decided to wait just a little longer before heading out of her house.
“I was supposed to leave, but I kept delaying it, and five minutes before I was supposed to leave, my family and I heard the deafening sounds,” said a harrowed Krishnaveni, whose house is right opposite Konark theatre in Dilsukhnagar, the second blast’s site.
Her husband, Ramana Reddy (50) had been coaxing her for more than 10 minutes to go out of the house. “I have no idea what would have happened had she left. I don’t think I’d have been able to forgive myself,” said Reddy.
The magnitude of the blast near their house was so high that windows till the third floor had shattered. “The shops on the ground floor, which I gave for rent, suffered some damage. All boards and glasses which were close to the site were shattered,” he said.
Both he and his wife stated that at first they thought that a transformer or a cylinder had exploded. “Six months ago a cylinder had exploded, and we thought it was the same thing. But it turned out to be something much more worse,” mentioned Reddy, who was in a troubled state after he witnessed the aftermath of the blasts. He added that the building which got damaged at the site of the second blast housed many coaching centres for engineering students.
“There is always a crowd, with a mjority of them being students. After the blasts, panic-stricken students even jumped off the building from the second or third floor and broke their legs,” he said.
The couple were however still in a shock about what they had witnessed. “This shows that a blast can take place anywhere and how helpless we are,” asserted Reddy.