Andhra Pradesh got a raw deal in the Railway Budget this year. Though the Budget spared passengers from fare hike, it has nothing substantive to offer to the state.
There will be eight eight express trains and three passenger trains for the state. In 2012, of the 75 new trains announced, AP got a major share of 21 trains.
New originating Express trains
* Chennai-Nagarsol Express (Weekly) Via Renigunta, Dhone, Kacheguda
* Kakinada-Mumbai Express (Bi-weekly)
* Kurnool Town-Secunderabad Express (Daily)
* Mangalore-Kacheguda Express (Weekly) via Dhone, Gooty, Renigunta
* Nizamabad-Lokmanya Tilak Express (Weekly)
* Tirupati-Puducherry Express (Weekly)
* Tirupati-Bhubaneswar Express (Weekly) Via Visakhapatnam
* Una/ Nangaldam-Hazoor Saheb Nanded Express (Weekly) Via Anandpur Saheb, Morinda, Chandigarh and Ambala.
Originating passenger trains
* Nandyal-Kurnool Town Passenger (Daily)
* Purna-Parli Vaijnath Passenger (Daily)
* Chennai-Tirupati MEMU Service
Other announcements made in the budget include setting up of a coach mid-life rehabilitation (MLR) workshop at Kurnool in collaboration with the state government and setting up of an exclusive centralised institute for Finance officers at Secunderabad to be known as Indian Railways Institute of Financial Management (IRIFM).
Setting up of Rail Neer Bottling Plant at Vijayawada and a diesel electric multiple unit (DEMO) car shed at Kurnool was also announced. Under National Skill Development Programme, railways will impart skills to youth in railway related trades at Kazipet.
New lines to be completed in 2012-13
* Devarakadra-Krishna (Part),
* Raichur-Pandurangaswamy (Part)
Lines to be completed in 2013-14 Kadapa-Pendlamarri and Mortad-Armoor-Nizamabad.
New line surveys
To be Taken up during 2013-14
* Mancherail-Adilabad via Utnoor, Siddipet-Akkanapet, Washim-Mahur-Adilabad
Doubling surveys to be taken up during 2013-14
To be completed in 2012-13
To be completed in 2013-14
* Sections to be Electrified in 2012-13 are Kondapuram-Vemulpadu,Gooty-Taticherala
Pass-Through Mail/Express Trains (8)
* Ajni (Nagpur) - Lokmanya Tilak Terminus Express (Weekly) via Hingoli Bikaner
* Chennai AC Express (Weekly) Via Jaipur, Sawai Madhopur, Nagda, Bhopal, Nagpur
* Gandhidham - Visakhapatnam Express (Weekly) Via Ahmedabad, Wardha, Ballarshah, Vijaywada
* Howrah - Chennai AC Express (Bi-weekly) Via Bhadrak, Duvvada, Gudur
* Kamakhya (Guwahati) - Bangalore AC Express (Weekly)
* Jabalpur - Yesvantpur Express (Weekly) Via Nagpur, Dharmavaram
* Pataliputra (Patna) - Bangalore Express (Weekly) Via Chheoki
* Visakhapatnam - Kollam Express (Weekly)
Extension of Originating Trains (6 )
* Hyderabad-Darbhanga Express to Raxaul after gauge conversion
* Hyderabad- Belampalli Express to Sirpur Kaghaznagar
* Mumbai CST-Latur Express to Hazoor Saheb Nanded
* Bodhan-Kamareddi Passenger to Mirzapalli
* Falaknuma-Bhongir MEMU to Jangaon
* Miryalguda-Nadikudi DEMU to Piduguralla
Extension of pass through trains (02)
* Darbhanga-Bangalore Express to Mysore
* Guwahati-Ernakulam Express to Thiruvananthapuram
Increase in frequency of originating trains (05)
* Coimbatore-Tirupati Express 3 to 4 days
* Narsapur - Nagarsol (Near Sainagar Shirdi) Express 2 to 7 days
* Visakhapatnam - Hazoor Saheb Nanded Express 2 to 3 days
* Sambalpur - Hazoor Saheb Nanded Express 2 to 3 days
* Secunderabad - Manuguru Express 3 to 7 days
Increase in frequency of pass through trains (02 )
* Madurai - Dehradun/Chandigarh Express 1 to 2 days
* Visakhapatnam - Lokmanya Tilak (T) Express 2 to 7 days
Allocation of funds 2013 -14
124 Crores (crs.) allocated towards Passenger Amenities, as against the revised grant of Rs 100 crs for FY 2012-13.
437 crores allocated towards construction of New Lines.