VISAKHAPATNAM: Five Maoists of Galikonda dalam, including a woman, surrendered before Visakhapatnam superintendent of police Vikram Jeet Duggal at Narsipatnam in the district Friday. All the surrendered Maoists carry a reward of `1 lakh each on their heads.
Due to ill-health and pressure from the family members, all the Maoists who had been in the movement for the past five to six years were learnt to have decided to surrender before the police as part of the latter’s ‘Sadbhavana Yatra’ initiative which encourages the Maoists to join mainstream life.
Under the new initiative, the surrendered Naxals will not be harassed in the name of cases or information on activities of Maoist leaders.
The surrendered Maoists are Vantala Rajita alias Kusse (18), Korra Malleswara Rao (24), Pangi Mahesh (20), Seendri Mahesh alias Tekkali Laxman alias Poolu (22) and Seendri Paramesh (23), all natives of Kannavaram village in Budaralla panchayat of Koyyuru mandal in the district.
The SP said that all the surrendered Maoists had been involved in activities like pasting of pamphlets, digging pits to plant landmines, worked as informers on the police movement to the Maoists teams, famine raids, ambushes to attack police, doing sentry duties, also involved in the murder of Mohana Rao at Busiputtu and participated in the training camps conducted by the Maoists.
“They worked with the teams of Balarevula Ramesh, Sarat and Jambri but got vexed with the ideology and the anti-people policies of the Maoists.
They came to a conclusion that there was no use to follow the Maoists for the welfare of themselves and their villages, and thus decided to surrender,” said Vikram Jeet Duggal.
Additional SP AR Damodhar, CRPF deputy commandant Kishore Kumar, Narsipatnam ASP Vishal Gunni and other police officers were present.