TIRUPATI: Fire broke out in a marketing department godown of Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanams (TTD) located at Alipiri here on Wednesday morning. Some bags of rice and bleaching powder inside the godown were gutted in the mishap.
However, the TTD officials heaved a sigh of relief with the flames coming under control with the alertness of the godown staff and the fire officials.
Though the TTD officials are attributing the cause of fire to an electric short circuit, the fire department staff ruled out the possibility as they did not trace any electrical wires inside the godown.
The godown was stocked with rice bags, donated by pilgrims and also the material like bleaching powder, broomsticks and others used by the sanitation department.
After observing flames and thick smoke inside the godown, the staff responded in time and averted it from engulfing the surroundings by watering down the flames. Fire tenders also rushed to the spot and joined the fire fighting exercise and controlled the flames within few minutes.