VISAKHAPATNAM: A couple sustained severe burn injuries after a fire broke out in the kitchen of their house at in the Sector- V, Ukkunagaram on Wednesday.
According to Steel Plant Inspector Malla Seshu, the housewife was trying to bring down a tin carrying kerosene which was stored in the attic of the kitchen. While uncapping the tin in a hurry, the women spilled kerosene which doused her body and spread on the floor. The kerosene caught fire from the lighted stove. Seeing the woman on fire, her husband tried to save her, but received burns in the process.
Noticing the fire in the house, the neighbours rushed to the house and rescued the 10-month old baby of the couple. With the help of emergency services, the couple were rushed to Care Hospital. “The woman sustained 80 per cent burns, while her husband is undergoing treatment with 60 per cent burns,” said Inspector Malla Seshu.