VISAKHAPATNAM: Fire broke out in an operation theatre at King George Hospital here on Tuesday. No one suffered injuries in the accident that sent shivers down the spines of patients and hospital staffers alike.
The incident comes in the wake of TNIE reporting about several private and government hospitals in the city, including KGH, not having secured mandatory no objection certificates (NOC) from the Fire Department (May 15, 2018).
On being alerted about the accident, the AOT, deputy superintendent, CSRMO and deputy engineer rushed to the spot and directed an electrician to cut power supply to the OT complex. Patients were shifted to another operation theatre. The officials inspected the affected area after the fire was doused.
Though power to the operation theatre was cut off, no other part of the hospital faced electricity problems. The King George Hospital management in a release explained that the accident occurred when the general cable leading to the operation theatre caught fire. Civil Surgeon RMO Sastry confirmed that KGH has not secured any no objection certificate.