BANGALORE/KOLAR: Accidental fire broke out at a plastic and scrap materiel storage shed at Vinayakanagar, near Nayandhalli on Sunday evening. Goods worth a few lakh rupees were gutted in the fire.
According to fire department officials, Kumar, who was passing by the open place noticed heavy fire in the storage shed and informed the fire department. However, the fire had spread and destroyed plastic goods, old paper bundles and other scrap material stored in the open area.
About six fire tenders were pressed into service and after two and half hours, the fire was completely doused.
“Someone, threw a cigarette butt in the grass area, which is attached to the shed. This might be the reason for the fire,” the officials added.
Student Falls off Train, Dies
Dharmendra Borke (23) from Andaman Nicobar Islands, who was a student of CMR D Ed College at Banasavadi, Bangalore, was killed on the spot after he slipped off the moving Howrah-Yeshwanthpur Duronto Express at Bangarpet railway station on Sunday.
Railway Sub Inspector M Muniyappa told Express that, Borke who joined the college last academic year went to his native place last week.
He was supposed to alight at the Krishna Rajapuram railway station but he accidentally fell off the train, which does not have a stop at Bangarpet.
Borke, who came under the wheels of the train, was instantly killed.
Pedestrian Knocked Down in Accident
A 65-year-old man was killed on the spot after an unidentified bike knocked him down on Horamavu Ring Road on Sunday. The deceased Kuppuswamy, a mason, was a resident of CMR Colony in Babusapalya.
Police said he was crossing Horamavu Ring Road to go home. On his way, a biker knocked him down and sped away.
Hookah Bar Raided, Two Held
The Kumaraswamy Layout police have arrested two persons for allegedly running a hookah bar on K S Layout 50 feet road on Sunday.
The accused are identified as Naresh Singh (22) and his brother Dheeru Singh (20), both natives of Rajasthan and residents of K S Layout. The police said that the duo were running Pacific Square juice centre in which they had a small room for hookah.
Mahesh of National Students’ Union of India (NSUI) had complained that the hookah bar was illegal. “Based on the complaint a raid was conducted on the shop. Though they have BBMP licence, they had not put the sticker reading tobacco consumption is injurious for health and also it was run within a radius of 100 meters of a private school,” the police explained.
Man Dies of Cardiac Arrest Ashok, 48, a resident of Jaibheem Nagar in Old Madiwala, died of cardiac arrest while he was walking near St Patrick’s Complex on Brigade Road on Sunday.