BANGALORE: Uninor will soon be filing a review petition to the Supreme Court over its decision to cancel 122 2G licences.
Asserting that the SC had not found any wrongdoing on the part of the telecom service providers, but on the policy of the government itself, the company will file the petition, even though they have not given a date for the same.
Uninor managing director Sigve Brekke said that they would be taking part in the fresh auctions. “We are in India with long-term plans,” he said, adding they already had 40 million subscribers in their circles and were effectively creating more competition, the purpose of them being invited by the Government of India, in 2008.
Claiming that the government had assured them full support in the matter, he informed that he met Union Telecom Minister Kapil Sibal on Tuesday in the capital, where the latter assured full support and would help Telenor steer through the storm as it had not done anything wrong. Adding that the Norwegian government gave the company its full backing, he said that their IT Minister, Rigmor Aasrud, had conveyed these concerns to the Centre. He said that they had already invested over Rs 14,000 crore, and more investments were likely.
He said that the company will be sending their pre-consultation papers to the TRAI and the Centre, and maintained that the auctions should be allowed only for start-ups and new comers, not ‘incumbents’.