MYSORE: In a shocking incident, a pregnant woman who consumed formalin, a chemical used for sterilisation, mistaking it for water, died at Cheluvamba Hospital on Sunday evening.
Rajeshwari (20) from G Kestur village of Chamarajanagar district was admitted to the hospital at around 12 noon following labour pains. The doctors who decided to go in for Caesarian section, advised her to keep her stomach empty. Her relatives were asked to keep a bottle of blood ready for the operation.
At around 8 pm, Rajeshwari asked a patient next to her bed for water. The latter reached out to a bottle kept nearby and handed it over to Rajeshwari, unaware that it was a chemical liquid. RMO Dr B Krishnamurthy said that though the nurses rushed to her help, it was of no use. Devaraja police have registered a case.