KOLAR: The residents of Janugatta village of Bangarpet taluk in Kolar district lost their houses, electronic items and valuables here on Monday afternoon.
According to villagers there was a power cut around 3 pm.
The power was restored but the villagers in their houses heard sounds from the electronic items like television, refrigerator and other items.
Following the wires emitting sparks, some of the houses started burning.
Residents ran out of their houses to save their lives.
According to sources, Chandra Shekar, his wife Bhagyamma and their eightmonth- old child Sevathi received burn injuries.
The child is said to be critical and is being treated in SNR District Hospital.
Houses of Venkataswamy and Chandrashekar were destroyed.
Unconfirmed reports claimed about Rs 8 lakh worth cash in Chandrashekar house was burnt along with some gold ornaments.
The primary sources said the loss crossed more than Rs 40 lakh worth valuables. The fire personnel extinguished the fire after a long time as it spread across many houses.
Bangarpet tahsildar Mangala, senior police officer and BESCOM authorities arrived to find out the cause behind the fire. Congress leader K M Narayanaswamy and town Municipal President Chandra Reddy reached with the provisions. They said Union Minister of State for Railways K H Muniyappa will be consulted for appropriate compensation.