Prioritise drinking water needs, says Opposition

With poor rainfall in state for the last three years, most of the water sources are going dry.

Published: 23rd November 2016 03:50 AM  |   Last Updated: 23rd November 2016 03:50 AM   |  A+A-

By Express News Service

BENGALURU: The members of Legislative Council felt that a drinking water crisis looms large over the state, with many districts already dependent on tanker water supply.

With poor rainfall in state for the last three years, most of the water sources are going dry. The state government’s recent report states that about 60 per cent of water sources in the state have gone dry, and in the remaining 40 per cent sources, 80 per cent of water is not fit for drinking.

During the discussion on drought, a section of members demanded the government to waive farmers’ loans. MLC Srikante Gowda said the loans added up to about Rs 9.978 crore and the government must take a bold decision to waive them.

Agriculture Minister Krishna Byre Gowda noted that close to Rs 700 crore was paid to farmers as crop compensation last year. Farmers who had insured their crops got the money.

“The government wants to popularise crop insurance schemes. But the network of DCC banks and some select cooperative societies misinformed farmers about not going for crop insurance. This year there were good signs of rains in June and July, this also made many farmers saying no to crop insurance,” he said.
Drinking water units defunct: Eshwarappa

Leader of Opposition in the Council, K S Eshwarappa said that many of drinking water units  in the state are not in working condition, and the government must prepare a plan to rectify them before the summer water woes hit the state. In his reply, RDPR Minister H K Patil said most water units were functional.

Stay up to date on all the latest Karnataka news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp