Government staff forum holds mega rally, warns of backlash in polls

AHIMSA demands state government to implement the Supreme Court orders which had rejected reservation in promotions for SC/ST employees

Published: 11th November 2017 07:41 AM  |   Last Updated: 11th November 2017 07:42 AM   |  A+A-

Thousands of government employees taking part in a massive rally in Bengaluru on Friday | Nagaraja Gadekal

By Express News Service

BENGALURU: AHIMSA, an association of minorities, backward classes and general category employees of the state government has threatened the Siddaramaiah government of serious consequences ahead of the assembly elections if their interests are sacrificed in order to appease Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe employees. Members of the forum, who held a a massive rally in city on Friday, demanded the government to implement the Supreme Court orders which had rejected reservation for promotions in SC/ST employees.

The rally was taken out from Freedom Park to Palace Grounds where Bengaluru Development Minister K J George accepted a memorandum. AHIMSA state president M Nagaraj said reservation in promotion is unfair to a majority of the employees as, under the existing policy, they had to wait for 20 years to get their first promotion.

According to Nagaraj, the government was supposed to reserve 15% of the posts for SCs and 3% of the posts to STs in promotions. But in many cases, more than 80% of the promotions were given to SCs and STs which the Supreme Court has reversed. More number of SC and ST employees than actually eligible had been promoted to senior positions due to wrong reservation policy adopted by the government, he said.

L Ravi, general secretary of the forum, said, “The state government is planning to bring a Bill in the next session to continue with the old rule. We will go back to the court if that happens. If they do not implement the Supreme Court orders, we will launch a non-cooperation movement and also make our mind known during the elections.”

He said, the Supreme Court, in its order in February, had directed state to reverse the promotions and to appoint eligible persons within six months. After the state asked sought extension, the apex court gave time till November 30. “If the government does not act by then, it will amount to contempt of court,” he said.The chief secretary and principal secretary energy Department and PWD have been named as the respondents in this case.

Stay up to date on all the latest Karnataka news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

facebook twitter whatsapp