Shop gutted in Kollam

A fire broke out at the Nazar Tea Store at Chamakkada, the tea stock and provision items were destroyed.

Published: 07th December 2008 10:20 AM  |   Last Updated: 14th May 2012 05:16 PM   |  A+A-


KOLLAM: A fire broke out in a shop at Chamakkada in the city at 8.30 p.m. on Saturday.

It was at the Nazar Tea Store, near Arikkada Mazjid at Valiyakada, that the fire broke out.

Fire tenders were rushed to the spot from the nearby Fire and Rescue Services Station. Two fire tenders from Kadappakkada were also rushed to the spot and the fire was contained.

The fire had spread to the first floor, which was the godown of the tea store.  The tea stock in the godown and provision items on the ground floor were  also destroyed.

Short circuit was cited as the reason for fire. Though the fire had spread out to the nearby shops, the fire tenders contained it and averted major loss. Saji, a worker of the Nazar store, sustained injuries when he fell down from the first floor of the shop.

Stay up to date on all the latest Kerala news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp