Probe ordered into ‘shawarma’ death
By Express News Service | Published: 18th July 2012 10:54 AM |
The Food Safety Commissioner has ordered a probe into the death of Sachin Roy Mathew, who died in Bangalore allegedly due to food poisoning on Monday. He reportedly had bought ‘shawarma’ from a hotel in Vazhutacaud on the night of Tuesday last (July 10) before leaving for Bangalore and was found dead in the lodge where he stayed. The hotel, Salwa Cafe, had been working without licence since March 2011. The Food Safety Commissioner sent a team to Mavelikkara, hometown of Sachin, to collect evidence.
“After collecting evidence, we will take steps to file a case against the hotel authorities under section 59 and 65 of Food Safety and Standards Act. Under this Act, the culprits are punishable by imprisonment for 6-7 years and a penalty up to Rs 10 lakh,” said D Sivakumar, chief food safety officer, Thiruvananthapuram.
Based on the complaint of Gireesh, who was under treatment for food poisoning, the Museum police registered a case against Salwa Cafe. ‘’We will collect evidence in Sachin’s case as part of the investigation,” said T K Jose, City Police Commissioner.