Textbooks nightmare set to end as Kerala govt gives in

Finally, the government will initiate steps to mitigate the hefty `1.3-crore loss incurred by the exchequer following its insistence on disposing of 13 lakh school textbooks bearing the name of the fo

Published: 04th June 2017 03:17 AM  |   Last Updated: 04th June 2017 03:17 AM   |  A+A-

Express News Service

KOCHI: Finally, the government will initiate steps to mitigate the hefty Rs 1.3-crore loss incurred by the exchequer following its insistence on disposing of 13 lakh school textbooks bearing the name of the former SCERT director appointed by the then UDF Government. 

Education Minister C Raveendranath told reporters here on Saturday the government will consider distributing the buffer stock stored at the Kerala Books and Publications Society (KBPS) warehouse. “At present we have completed the distribution of Vol I textbooks to schools.

The government will find out whether the buffer stocks can be disposed of through some method,” he said. However, he claimed it was the negligence on the part of the KBPS and not  the government which resulted in the heavy loss to the exchequer.

A grab of the ‘Express’ report that
appeared on June 3 | Express

“After the LDF came to power we decided to split the textbooks into three volumes. The instruction was given to the authority concerned but it was the KBPS which printed the excess quantity. The entire responsibility of the incident lies with them,” said Raveendranath.

A KBPS officer told Express every year the government maintains enough buffer stock to meet any urgency. “Last year 25 lakh textbooks were printed as buffer stock, of which 12 lakh books could not be used. Though the remaining 13 lakh books could have been distributed this year,the KBPS was forced to discard them. The minister is raising baseless allegations against the KBPS,” the officer said.

Though Express tried to contact KBPS MD Tomin J Thachankary he was unavailable.
It was the Express article ‘Not by the govt text. And it costs the state exchequer `1.3 crore’ which appeared in the June 2 edition which shed light on the issue. 

Stay up to date on all the latest Kerala news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp