Malayalam actor assault case: Navy’s hunt for mobile turns dud

The five-member diving team surfaced empty handed after a search that lasted more than six hours.

Published: 01st March 2017 06:19 AM  |   Last Updated: 01st March 2017 06:36 AM   |  A+A-

Navy conducting search operation to find the mobile phones allegedly thrown by Pulsar Suni near Gosree Bridge in Kochi on Tuesday. | (Melton Antony | EPS)

Express News Service

KOCHI: With the surprise entry of the Navy into the scene, the search operation for the most vital evidence in the actor molestation case - the mobile phone used to record the sexual assault -gathered steam on Tuesday. However, the five-member diving team surfaced empty handed after a search that lasted more than six hours.


“We couldn’t find anything during the search,” Vishal Johnson, Aluva Circle Inspector, told ‘Express’, disappointment writ large on his face. He declined to comment when asked if the search operation would continue on Wednesday.

Meanwhile, the Special Investigation Team (SIT) seized a SIM and memory card from the house of Manu, Kakkazham, Ambalappuzha, a friend of prime accused Pulsar Suni.

The Navy’s diving team used advance search equipment to scout the waters below the first Goshree bridge. The search was conducted on the basis of Suni’s deposition. He told the team he hurled the phone into the backwaters near the first Goshree bridge on his way to surrender at the Ernakulam Chief Judicial Magistrate Court last Thursday.

Earlier in the day, the police team brought Vijeesh and Suni to the bridge to identify the location. The accused showed the probe team the ‘exact spot’ from where Suni threw the phone. SIT member DySP K G Babu Kumar said though Suni had made conflicting statements regarding the location before, they “found some substance in his claim this time”.

“This prompted us to seek the help of the Navy,” he said. Earlier, Suni had said he dumped the mobile phone in a canal at Ponnurunni, following which, the police conducted a search in vain.

Suni deposed he reached at Goshree bridge  around 8 am and tossed the mobile phone wrapped in a plastic bag. It reveals Suni reached Ernakulam town four hours before he surrendered. “Suni is suspected to have met his lawyers after disposing of the phone,” a senior officer told ‘Express’.

Stay up to date on all the latest Kerala news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp