Anthrax claims one, affects 20 in Koraput village
By Express News Service | Published: 22nd April 2013 07:42 AM |
One person died of anthrax and 20 others were affected in Jadidhara village of Chipakur gram panchayat under Boipariguda block in Koraput
district during the last three days. The deceased has been identified as Dhanu Muduli.
According to reports, villagers were taken ill after consuming half-boiled meat of an anthrax affected buffalo a few days back. Due to lack of medical facilities, they were treated by quacks.
However, after Dhanu died and 20 others were affected, the local panchayat officials reported the matter to Boipariguda primary health centre (PHC).
On Thursday, some of the affected villagers were admitted to the PHC.
Jeypore SDMO Dadhibaban Tripathy, who visited the village on Sunday, confirmed that Dhanu had died of anthrax.
He said the strains of the animal will be sent to Cuttack for test. The doctor added that a special medical team from the district headquarters hospital with sufficient medicines are camping in affected village and treating the patients. All preacutionary measures are being taken, he added.