CUTTACK: Demolition of unauthorised religious structures constructed on Government land in the Millennium City is set to be resumed with the Cuttack Development Authority (CDA) ready to launch a drive from August 22.
The authority has decided to pull down 35 temples and other religious structures, including 27 at CDA Markat Nagar and eight at Mahanadi Vihar. The demolition drive which was scheduled to be launched on Tuesday has been deferred to Friday due to unavailability of personnel and security cover for the operations.CDA Vice-Chairman Pratap Das said the action is being undertaken in compliance with Orissa High Court orders issued in 2011 for demolition of illegally constructed religious structures. The HC had ordered demolition of such structures which had come up on Government land after 1987. Accordingly, CDA identified 166 unauthorised constructions that had come up on public roads and banks of rivers Mahanadi and Kathjodi in Cuttack.
The drive that started in May 2013 had to be stopped midway after authorities and management bodies of six temples in the list approached the Supreme Court and obtained stay orders.
Das said the 35 structures earmarked for demolition do not find mention in the list where the SC has ordered maintenance of status quo. The drive will be undertaken by the CDA to clear its own land from encroachment, he stated. The district administration in association with National Highways Authority of India had earlier in July this year demolished around eight temples and structures along NH-5 between Phulnakhara and Cuttack.