Government Yet to Provide 'Meeting Ground' for Modi, Says BJP
By Express News Service | Published: 25th January 2014 09:33 AM |
The State BJP on Friday condemned the dilly-dallying attitude of the State Government in providing a ground for the public meeting of its prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi, which is scheduled on February 11 here.
Even though the party had requested the School and Mass Education department on December 26 last year to allow it to hold the public meeting of Modi at the Capital High School ground here, the department is yet to communicate its decision in this regard, State BJP leaders Samir Mohanty and Bhrugu Buxipatra alleged at a media conference here.
Mohanty said the party had requested for the ground on December 26 last year after it was informed that other grounds in the city, including Janata Maidan and Exhibition Ground, were not available on February 11. While the Commissionerate Police has already given its clearance for the public meeting to be held at the Capital High School from the security point of view, the S&ME department is yet to communicate its decision, the BJP leader said.
Referring to the statement of Minister of State for S&ME Rabi Narayan Nanda that a school ground cannot be utilised for any political meeting, Mohanty demanded that Chief minister Naveen Patnaik should intervene and take a decision in this regard by Saturday.
The BJP leaders announced that there is no question of any change in Modi’s programme in Odisha. The public meeting will be held at Bhubaneswar and it is for the State Government to provide a suitable place for it, the two BJP leaders said. They said that if the Government fails to act by Saturday, the BJP will consider alternatives and announce a decision.
“Is it fear of Modi or some other reason? If the Government does not respond to our request by tomorrow, it will be responsible for the consequences,” Buxipatra said.
The minister said there is a standing circular of the department that a school ground cannot be used for political meetings or other private events. He, however, denied having received any such application from the BJP about Modi’s meeting.
“If they have submitted the application to the department, it is the department which will reply to them,” the Minister said and added that he had only discussed the standing instructions of the department with former minister and BJP leader Pradip Nayak over telephone.
“The former minister asked me about this and I informed him about the standing instructions,” he said.