Prohibitory Orders in Sambalpur City

Communal violence apprehended during Hanuman Jayanti procession on April 14 as HJSS sticks to its decision to wield weapons

Published: 07th April 2015 06:07 AM  |   Last Updated: 07th April 2015 06:07 AM   |  A+A-

Prohibitory

SAMBALPUR:The district administration has clamped prohibitory orders on display of arms during religious and other processions in Sambalpur City under Section 144-A of CrPC from Monday. The order was issued by the District Magistrate Balwant Singh as members of Hanuman Jayanti Samanwaya Samiti (HJSS) stuck to their decision to display traditional weapons during Hanuman Jayanti procession on April 14.

Speaking to mediapersons on Monday, Additional SP Sushil Kumar Panigrahi said in the order, the District Magistrate has cited the instances of religious procession sparking off communal tension due to weapons carried by the participants in the city in the recent past.

Apprehending repeat of similar situation and considering the concern expressed during peace committee meetings, the district administration has taken the decision not to allow carrying of arms during religious and other processions to ensure peace and tranquility in the town, Panigrahi said. However, he was optimistic about a breakthrough and hoped that the stalemate would be resolved through a dialogue.

Panigrahi said last year, HJSS supported the move and the ban on display of traditional weapons was extended to Muharram as well.

Earlier, the district administration had put a blanket ban on display of traditional arms during religious procession to avoid any kind of confrontation. But the HJSS resolved to display the weapons during the Hanuman Jayanti procession defying the ban.

Moreover, they boycotted peace committee meetings convened by the administration. The HJSS, on its part, put forth certain demands including complete ban on cow slaughter in the district and identification and deportation of Bangladeshi infiltrators to pave way for dialogue.

Meanwhile, the HJSS has been holding meetings on the prohibitory order with various Akhadas which would participate in Hanuman Jayanti procession. It has also decided that more than 500 boys dressed as Lord Hanuman will participate in the procession clearly indicating that they would go ahead with their procession as planned.

Stay up to date on all the latest Odisha news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp