PARADIP: A man and his five-year-old son were charred to death at Gandikipur village under Kujang police limits on Friday. The deceased are Sarada Das (38) and his son Badal.
Das had stored 50 litres of petrol in a room of his thatched house for sale in nearby villages.
His wife was carrying out ‘puja’ in the room in the evening when the clay lamp fell on the container in which petrol was stocked. The resultant fire spread to other rooms in the house within seconds. Although the woman managed to come out, her son, who was playing inside the house, was trapped.
Hearing his screams, Das went inside the house and could not come out. Although fire fighters rushed to the spot, they could not save the two. The fire also spread to another house.
Police have seized the bodies and sent it Kujang hospital for postmortem.