CUTTACK: More than 40 families rendered homeless in a major fire mishap at Belda village in Tangi-Choudwar block of the district on Saturday night. Baring seven houses, the fire has engulfed the entire village. Over 80 rooms were gutted and properties worth ` one crore were reduced to ashes.
The fire, which is said to be broke out due to electrical short circuit at about 5.30 PM, engulfed the houses within few minutes and the victims could not save any thing except the clothes they had wearing.
The situation worsened and went beyond control when a domestic gas cylinder exploded in a house at the eastern side of the village. Favoured by the blowing of strong wind, fire engulfed the rest kuchha houses.
Four firefighter teams of Choudwar and Cuttack were pressed into service. Though they succeeded in controlling the fire after two hours of effort, no household property belonging to anyone could not be saved.
Senior officials including Collector Nirmal Chandra Mishra rushed to the spot and took stuck of the situation.
The district administration has sanctioned relief for three days. Apart from setting up a tent, local school has been arranged for temporary rehabilitation.
Dry and cookfood along with drinking water have been provided to the victims, said the Collector and added that a medical team has also been rushed to the village and financial assistance will be given to them as per norms.