PARADIP: A daily labourer, Kalipada Badoi, died and another Khetramani Das fell ill on Sunday after consuming country liquor mixing it with a chemical, which they mistook for water.
The two were admitted to Biju Memorial Hospital, Atharbanki, where Bodoi succumbed. Das was shifted to SCB Medical, Cuttack after his condition deteriorated.
Police seized the body and sent it for autopsy. A case of unnatural death has been registered, said IIC of Paradip Marine police station Anirudha Routray.
The two labourers of Bengalipada under Paradip Marine police limits were engaged in cleaning a septic tank in Nehrubangla.
It is found that local dry fish traders have been allegedly using toxic substances while manufacturing dry fish product in Paradip by violating Marine Fishing Regulation Act, 1982.