Fire safety: Major loopholes exposed in Bhubaneswar's malls, hotels

In a massive drive, Fire Services personnel made simultaneous inspection in various hotels, malls and shops in the city and sealed two underground venues of a hotel due to lack of adequate fire safety

Published: 13th February 2018 03:27 AM  |   Last Updated: 13th February 2018 05:42 AM   |  A+A-

Locals salvage belongings after fire in a godown was doused near nima sahi mosque in Cuttack on Monday | Express

By Express News Service

BHUBANESWAR: In a massive drive, Fire Services personnel made simultaneous inspection in various hotels, malls and shops in the city and sealed two underground venues of a hotel due to lack of adequate fire safety measures on Monday.The staircases leading to the two halls were found to be curvy and the wooden panels used were highly combustible.

“Besides, BDA regulations do not permit conduct of marriages or any social gathering in the basement of a building,” Director General, Fire Services BK Sharma told The Express about the two underground venues which were sealed off.Since it is the marriage season, the officials of the hotel would have continued to hold the functions which is whyit was decided to seal the halls under the provisions of Odisha Fire Prevention and Fire Safety Rules, Sharma said, adding that the basements can only be used as  parking lots, store rooms or libraries.

About 13 teams led by a senior officer each carried out the inspection in 26 hotels including Hotel Crown at Nayapalli, Hotel Swosti Grand at Station Square, The New Marrion in front of Ram Mandir, Hotel Fortune at Kalpana Square, Hotel Suryansh at Chandrasekharpur, Empires Hotel at Saheed Nagar, The Presidency hotel at Nayapalli and Hotel Seetal under Saheed Nagar police limits.

The fire personnel also conducted inspection in jewellery stores Lalchand Jewellers at Station Square, Kalyan Jewellers at Vani Vihar, Khimji Jewellers at Rupali Square. Simultaneous inspection was carried out in the malls and garment stores.

During the inspection, the teams found fire buckets were being used as dustbins in some establishments, exit gates had been blocked,  while electrical insulation system went missing.Most of the shops used highly combustible and inflammable materials like wood panel and silk garments in the store rooms. Non-functional fire extinguishers, missing smoke detector and untrained staff were detected in most establishments which came under the inspection.

Stay up to date on all the latest Odisha news with The New Indian Express App. Download now

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

IPL2018