Centre's Fund too Less for Reconstruction: Patro - The New Indian Express

Centre's Fund too Less for Reconstruction: Patro

Published: 21st January 2014 12:02 PM

Last Updated: 21st January 2014 12:02 PM

The Centre’s decision to sanction `915 crore for the post Phailin reconstruction measures has come in for sharp criticism from the State Government which has described it as too little.

Stating that the decision of the Centre is unfortunate, Revenue and Disaster Management Minister Surya Narayan Patro said that the State Government has already spent around `1,500 crore for reconstruction work after increasing the corpus of the contingency fund.

The Government now needs more funds to provide compensation to the farmers whose crops were damaged in cyclone and subsequent floods in several districts of the State, he said.

The State Government had submitted two memoranda to the Centre after Phailin and flood seeking assistance of ` 5,832 crore to carry out restoration work in calamity-hit areas.

The State Government had estimated total loss of properties in Phailin and subsequent flood at `21,766 crore.  The central team which visited the cyclone and flood affected areas had agreed to the State Government’s projection of loss and assured that they will recommend to the Centre about the extensive losses, the minister said and added that the the assistance announced by the Centre is very inadequate.

Central assistance of `915 crore to the State was announced here on Sunday by Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde at Mundali during the 9th Raising Day celebration of the National Disaster Response Fund (NDRF).

The Union Home Minister said that the Centre had constituted a committee to look into the extent of damages caused by the disaster.

A high power committee looked into recommendations of the committee, Shinde said and added that the high power committee accepted recommendations and decided to sanction `915 crore to Odisha.

The Revenue Minister, however, said that the State Government has so far received `750 crore from the Centre for undertaking cyclone reconstruction work.

comments powered by Disqus

Disclaimer: We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the NIE editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.


follow us Mobile Site iPad News Hunt Android RSS Tumblr Linekin Pinterest Youtube Google Plus Twitter Facebook