Odisha Asks Karnataka to Initiate Proceedings in Torture Case - The New Indian Express

Odisha Asks Karnataka to Initiate Proceedings in Torture Case

Published: 21st January 2014 12:02 PM

Last Updated: 21st January 2014 12:02 PM

The Odisha Government on Monday requested its Karnataka counterpart to initiate criminal proceedings against a Gulbarga-based brick kiln owner, who subjected a child labourer hailing from Balangir to torture leaving him with a fractured and infected hand.

The 12-year-old Sushant Kumbhar is currently recuperating at the SCB Medical College and Hospital, Cuttack. The state government has decided to bear the cost of treatment.

On Monday, Labour Commissioner Shalini Pandit spoke to her Karnataka counterpart seeking stringent action against the brick kiln owner. “We have asked Karnataka Labour Department to initiate criminal proceedings against the brick kiln owner as well as press charges under Child Labour (Prevention and Regulation) Act,” Pandit told Express.

While assaulting the child was inhuman, giving him herbal treatment was unacceptable, she said.

Similarly, the Labour Commissioner’s office has directed action against the labour agents under the Inter-State Migrant Workmen (Regulation of Employment and Conditions of Service) Act, 1979, and labour laws.

Sushant and his parents had migrated to Gulbarga in October last year to work in the brick kiln of Lachhman Naik. While the family had been paid `2,000 as advance by two labour agents, rest `15,000 was to be paid after reaching the place. When it was not paid, Sushant stopped working, which irked Naik and he hit him with an iron rod.

Even though the 12-year-old suffered fractures in his left hand from the assault, he was not allowed to go for proper treatment.  Later, the Labour Department of Karnataka stepped in and rescued the boy.

From Around the Web