Two die of suffocation at VOC port terminal
By Express News Service | Published: 28th August 2013 08:46 AM |
Two workers of a private shipping company died under mysterious circumstances inside the hatch at C4 terminal of VOC Port in Thoothukudi on Tuesday evening.
According to police, Victor Mohan (39) of State Bank Colony and Joebai (49) of Lions Town, both workers of St Johns Shipping Company, died allegedly due to suffocation after they accidentally entered into a hatch where wooden logs were stored.
It is said that the wooden logs were sprayed with pesticides.
Marine police inspector Ramesh told Express that the duo may have died due to suffocation after inhaling poisonous gases when they entered the hatch.
The ship, Amyntor, had brought pinewood from New Zealand for unloading in VOC Port in Thoothukudi five days ago. The ship was scheduled to leave the Port on Friday evening, said Ramesh
The two employees went inside the hatch to check the pinewood, which was scheduled for unloading on Tuesday. The employees were supposed to enter the hatch only with protective cover, which is fitted with an oxygen cylinder. But Victor Mohan and Joebai accidentally entered the hatch, said the officials.
The police have sent their bodies for a post-mortem.
“Only the post-mortem report will reveal the real cause of their death,” said the police officer.