Jaya Forms Panel to Probe Collapse

Chief Minister said that the Commission, to be headed by retired High Court judge will go into all aspects and circumstances that led to this tragic incident.

Published: 04th July 2014 07:21 AM  |   Last Updated: 04th July 2014 07:34 AM   |  A+A-

Collapse

CHENNAI: Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Thursday constituted an Inquiry Commission to probe the reasons behind the collapse of the 11-storey under-construction building in Moulivakkam, which left 61 people dead and injured 27. 

“The Commission, to be headed by retired judge of Madras High Court R Regupathi, will go into all aspects and circumstances that led to this tragic incident and will recommend measures to prevent recurrence of such incidents in future. The Commission will find out whose apathetic attitude is to blame for this tragic incident,” the Chief Minister said in a statement here.

She added that the State government would take action based on the report of the Inquiry Commission.

Jayalalithaa said `7 lakh would be given as compensation to families of the deceased who belonged to Tamil Nadu and `2 lakh would be given to those from other States. Those who suffered injuries would get `50,000 as compensation and the best possible treatment was being administered to them on State government expenditure.

The government was also bearing the cost of sending bodies of the deceased to their native places. Stating that the police were already in the process of taking action against those responsible, the Chief Minister recalled her visit to the accident site as well as to the hospital. As many as 27 construction workers from Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh and Odisha have been rescued so far. The rescue efforts were being jointly undertaken by the State and Central departments, including the National Disaster Response Force, State Disaster Response Force and Police, Fire and Rescue Services.

11 more bodies pulled out, toll at 61

Rescue personnel pulled out 11 more bodies, including those of six men, four women and a 10-year-old boy, from under the debris of the 11-storey building on Thursday, taking the toll to 61. As many as 24 bodies were yet to be identified. Around 27 people have been rescued so far. After clearing most parts of the collapse site, rescue efforts were halted for a brief while even as work on removing the debris went on. Officials are likely to hold a review meeting on Friday to decide the further course.

 

ALSO READ:

GH gears up to conduct DNA Tests 

Stay up to date on all the latest Tamil Nadu news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp