Next Round of Fishermen Talks in Doubt

TN puts ball in MEA court, wants to know the steps taken to free fisherfolk jailed in SL

Published: 12th March 2014 07:47 AM  |   Last Updated: 12th March 2014 08:12 AM   |  A+A-

Tamil-Nadu-fishermen

The Tamil Nadu government on Tuesday categorically conveyed to the Central government that the next round of fishermen level talks between representatives of fishermen of Tamil Nadu and Lanka would take place on March 13 only if the 177 fishermen and their 44 boats now in Lankan custody are released.

S Vijayakumar, Tamil Nadu Fisheries Secretary, in his letter to the Ministry of External Affairs, said the State government had not received any information regarding the release of the fishermen from Lankan custody though he had conveyed in his letter dated March 2 that the next round of fishermen level talks would be held subject to the release of the Tamil Nadu fishermen.

Reiterating the Tamil Nadu government’s stand on this issue, the Fisheries Secretary said that the Tamil Nadu fishermen and their boats would have to be released prior to the talks, to enable the talks to take place.  He also urged the MEA to indicate the action taken by the Central government on the request of Tamil Nadu.

Meanwhile Colombo said it is ready to host the second meeting of fishermen’s representatives from India and Sri Lanka on March 13, but Tamil Nadu is yet to submit a list of participants from its side. The Lankan Director of Fisheries, Nimal Hettiarachchi, told Express on Tuesday, “Puduchery has submitted the names of its delegates, but TN is yet to do it.  I have checked with the Indian High Commission here and they too said that they had not received a list from TN,” Hettiarachchi said. “However, we are hopeful that the talks will take place as scheduled. We believe that the Tamil Nadu government has given the green signal for it. We still expect the names to arrive as we have a day to go,” the Lankan official said.    

A few days ago, doubts were cast on the talks when the Tamil Nadu Chief Minister, J Jayalalithaa, wrote to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh saying that if the 177 TN fishermen and over 44  boats detained by the Lankans were not released, Tamil Nadu would not agree to the talks.

Reacting to this, the Lankan Fisheries Minister Rajitha Senaratne questioned the basis for talks when TN fishermen were brazenly violating undertakings given at the January 27 parleys in Chennai. He pointed out that promises from the TN fishermen hundreds of TN bottom trawlers had been poaching during this period.

Also Read:

Sri-Lankan Fishermen to Move Rights Council

Sri Lanka Bent on Derailing Talks?

Jaya Writes to PM for Immediate Release of Fishermen 

Stay up to date on all the latest Tamil Nadu news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp