Man 'Assaults' Cops During Search, Held

Police say kerosene was poured on them during the enquiry.

Published: 13th July 2015 04:35 AM  |   Last Updated: 13th July 2015 04:35 AM   |  A+A-

VELLORE: A 34-year-old man was arrested on Saturday for allegedly assaulting and trying to set two police women, who were visiting his house in connection with a case of a missing woman, on fire.

Sub-inspector of Police, Devika (40) of Tiruttani Police Station with Woman Head Constable Kavitha and Constable Pushparaj had visited S Suresh (alias) Cable Suresh (of Bangarammakandigai) house in Arakkonam Town on Friday in connection with an 18-year-old newly married girl who had gone missing. Sandhiya’s husband, (also named Suresh, of Tiruthani), accompanied the police.

Sandhiya (18) got married to Suresh on June 21. Eight days later, she went missing. Her husband filed a complaint at the Tiruthani Police Station on July 6.

“We received information that the girl was in S Suresh’s house. So, we along with the complainant, went to his house during the early hours of Friday to check,” said SI Devika.

However, Cable Suresh, his father Sekar, wife Devi and other family members confronted them and allegedly abused the police and are said to have also assaulted constable Pushparaj.

“Head Constable Kavitha an I tried to stop Suresh’s family from assaulting Constable Pushparaj. They pushed us down and poured kerosene on us and threatened that they would set us ablaze. We were petrified and left the place,” she said.

The SI filed a complaint in this regard with the Arakkonam Town police, who registered a case under section 294 (b) (uttering obscene words in public place), 332 (voluntarily causing hurt to deter public servant from his duty), 323 (voluntarily causing hurt), 341 (wrongful restraint) and 307 (attempt to murder) of the IPC against Suresh and his family. Police arrested Cable Suresh and launched a search for his family members.

However, police sources in Vellore district have said that SI Devika has blown the incident out of proportion and manipulated the facts to file a case against Cable Suresh.

“Though Suresh and his family members confronted the Tiruthani police, they did not assault them. They in fact gheraoed the police and did not allow the cops to take Suresh in their custody,” said a police source in Vellore.

“Suresh’s family poured kerosene over themselves and threatened the police  that if they continued to harass them, they would end their lives by self-immolation. While pouring the kerosene on themselves, some of it accidentally spilled on SI Devika and HC Kavitha,” added the source. SI Kavitha denied the charge.

Sandhiya, meanwhile, voluntarily reported to the police and her case has been closed.

Stay up to date on all the latest Tamil Nadu news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp