Blade from cutting machine comes off, fatally slits throat of young electrician

Published: 29th August 2016 05:15 AM  |   Last Updated: 29th August 2016 05:15 AM   |  A+A-

COIMBATORE: A 23-year-old electrician, the sole bread-winner of an impoverished family, was killed as a fragment of a blade from a cutting machine that he was operating broke off from the main device and slashed his throat on Saturday noon.

Shockingly, the family members of the youth claimed that the body was left unattended for more than two hours after the accident, and was only retrieved after they arrived at the spinning mill later the same evening.

The victim, R Michael from Ulundurpet in Villupuram, was working as an electrician at Arun Kumar Spinning Mills in Kariyampalayam, Sulur, for the last four months.

Police said that Michael was cutting a piece of fibreglass to be fitted on to an air-conditioning unit. Michael was using an electric saw to cut the glass when the blade cut through the fibre and hit the concrete floor below. In the process, a portion of the blade broke off from the unit and slashed his throat.

Police said that the blade got lodged in Michael’s neck, and he died on the spot.

Based on a complaint lodged by Michael’s father, the Annur Police registered a case against A Murugasamy (36), the person in-charge of the mill, under Sections 287 (negligent conduct with respect to machinery) and 304(A) (causing death by negligence) of the Indian Penal Code.

Speaking to Express, Michael’s relatives said that the youth’s body had remained unattended for over two hours inside the mill.

“Only after we arrived did some other workers inside the mill help to take Michael’s body to the hospital,” he said.

The relatives of the deceased also alleged that the mill operators had initially refused to pay any compensation. “They did not provide any safety equipment, which led to Michael’s death. While using a cutting machine, the material being sawed should be mounted on a cutting table above the ground,” his father M Rayappan, who is a daily wage worker, said.

Death due to negligence, caused by lack of safety equipment and lack of safety protocols followed at construction sites and factories have claimed the lives of as many as 25 people in 2016 alone, police personnel at the Coimbatore District Crime Records Bureau told Express.

Stay up to date on all the latest Tamil Nadu news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp