1998 Coimbatore blasts: Man absconding for 20 years arrested

PTI | Published: 11th September 2018 01:56 PM

CHENNAI: Police here have arrested a man, who was absconding for 20 years, in connection with the 1998 serial bomb blasts in Coimbatore that killed 58 people.

NP Noohu alias Mankavu Rasheed was picked up from Kozhikode in Kerala on Monday by a Special Investigation Division of the Tamil Nadu Police, an official release said Tuesday.

Based on a "specific intelligence input", Noohu was arrested, it said, adding that he was "hiding abroad for the last 20 years".

He had been declared as a 'proclaimed offender' by a court, the official release said, adding that Noohu was being interrogated.

On February 14, 1998, serial bomb blasts coinciding with the visit of senior BJP leader and then party president L K Advani had rocked the industrial city of Coimbatore, leaving 58 people dead and over 200 injured.

Among the locations where bombs went off was the venue where an election meeting of Advani was scheduled.

Tags : 1998 Coimbatore blast

More from this section

Cyclone Gaja is not expected to weaken: Tamil Nadu Weatherman
Tamil Nadu: Nine-year-old spends half a decade as bonded labourer for a Rs 2,000 loan
Possible power shutdown in coastal districts until 'Gaja' crosses: Tangedco
Pudukkottai engineering college to have affiliation stripped after owner's son cheats in exam
Cyclone Gaja: Bus services halted, administrators advised to cut power in six major TN districts 
Next >>