Jaya Sets Record Straight, Says Didn't Bar NIA Probe - The New Indian Express

Jaya Sets Record Straight, Says Didn't Bar NIA Probe

Published: 03rd May 2014 07:58 AM

Last Updated: 03rd May 2014 08:01 AM

A day after two blasts rocked the Kaziranga Express minutes after it pulled into Chennai Central Railway Station and media reports suggested that the State government had rejected the Centre’s offer of assistance in probing the terror attack, Chief Minister

J Jayalalithaa on Friday refuted them and said a National Investigating Agency (NIA) team comprising bomb experts had already arrived in the city to inspect the explosion site.

Earlier reports originating from New Delhi had claimed that the Tamil Nadu government had refused any help from the Centre, saying the case would be handled by the CB-CID of the State police.

In fact, earlier in the day, Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde claimed that the Centre wanted to send the NIA team, but the State government had conveyed that the CB-CID would probe the matter.

Setting the record straight, Jayalalithaa said erroneous reports had appeared in a section of the media, giving the impression that the Centre had come forward to send the NIA, but that her government had stopped it. On

May 1, she said, a mid-level officer in the Union Home Ministry contacted the State Home Secretary and offered to send bomb detection devices or a bomb detection and disposal squad, if necessary. In response, the State Home secretary official said that assistance would be sought, if need be. She added that an NIA team was in the city to inspect the blast site.

Meanwhile, the CB-CID probing the case released grainy CCTV footage of a man on a trot after disembarking from the S3 coach immediately after the train pulled into the Chennai Central station.

Speaking to the media, CB-CID IG Mahesh Kumar Agarwal did not confirm whether the man, who appeared to be in his early 30s and bald, was being treated as a suspect. The poor quality video grab shows the man running away after getting down from coach S3 at 7:08 am. He was nowhere to be seen at the station. The first explosion rang out from coach S4 at 7:18 am. Agarwal ruled out the possibility of the bombs having been in Chennai and added that it was too early to conclude that the blasts were aimed at thwarting the Andhra rallies of BJP’s PM candidate Narendra Modi.  Meanwhile, two persons were picked up by the Central agencies based on their investigations in Bengaluru where the train originated. Sources said the duo had been handed over to the CBCID team which arrived there on Friday.

Also Read:

Editorial: Plug All Loopholes to Foil Terrorist Attacks

Train Blast: Jayalalithaa Slams Karunanidhi

Police Looking for Bald Man in Chennai Train Blasts

TN Police Team in Bangalore to Probe Train Blasts in Chennai

NIA Team at Chennai Twin Blasts Site: Shinde  

comments powered by Disqus

Disclaimer: We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the NIE editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.


Read More



follow us Mobile Site iPad News Hunt Android RSS Tumblr Linekin Pinterest Youtube Google Plus Twitter Facebook