Bulandshahr violence: Army hands over jawan accused of killing cop to UP Police

It is unclear about the exact location where Jeetu was handed over to the UP police team, as Army officials in Kashmir were tight-lipped about the whole development.

Published: 08th December 2018 07:23 PM  |   Last Updated: 09th December 2018 08:43 AM   |  A+A-

Cops inspect after several vehicles were set on fire by a mob during a protest over the alleged illegal slaughter of cattle in Bulandshahr Monday. (File photo | PTI)

Cops inspect after several vehicles were set on fire by a mob during a protest over the alleged illegal slaughter of cattle in Bulandshahr Monday. (File photo | PTI)

SRINAGAR: Jeetendra Malik, a jawan with 22 Rashtriya Rifles posted in North Kashmir's Sopore and accused of killing inspector Subodh Kumar Singh during Bulandshahr violence was reportedly handed over by his unit to the UP police on Saturday.

Sources said that after getting nod from top authorities of the army, it was decided to hand over Malik to UP police. Early on Saturday, the soldier was taken into custody by the Army authorities on the request of UP police in connection with the Bulandshahr violence.

A police team from UP on Friday had contacted the army authorities and sought custody of the soldier who had left the city soon after the killing of the police inspector. However, it was unclear as to where the soldier was handed over to UP police team.

ALSO READBulandshahr police chief transferred over cop's death during mob violence

Notably, Jeetendra Malik is one among the 27 accused named in the FIR lodged for violence, rioting and murder in Syana town of Bualndhshar district. Armed with an arrest warrant, a team of UP STF was sent to Jammu on Friday to take the jawan into custody and bring him back for interrogation.

Contrary to initial reports that UP police had arrested Jeetendra, highly placed sources in police department claimed that instead of handing over the custody of the accused jawan to the UPSTF, the army officials had detained him and left Jammu by air for Delhi. The sources added that army personnel, including a Subedar major and a few jawans, accompanied Jeetendra Malik.

After scanning over 200 videos related to the incident, the cops concluded that the army man was present at the spot of Monday’s mob frenzy which led to the loss of two lives including the police inspector. Jeetu had been on 15-day leave in Bulandshahr, his native place when the violence over alleged cow slaughtering erupted. His leave was ending on Monday when the violence took place. The sources claimed that the soldier left Bulandshahr just after the unrest.

ALSO SAIDBulandshahr: Local BJP leaders had demanded transfer of slain police officer days before violence

Meanwhile, Dharmendra Malik, brother of Jitendra, claimed the latter was innocent and was being framed by police in the violence case. “My brother is being trapped in some conspiracy, he was not involved in the killing of the inspector Singh,” said Dharmendra adding that he had evidence to prove that his brother was not present at the site
where the incident took place on Monday. He, however, appealed the army authorities to keep him in their custody during his interrogation.

In another revelation, a day before Bulandshahr trouble, the district administration had issued a notice to the organisers of Tablighi Ijtema (Islamic congregation of devotees) over the huge assembly of Muslim devotees. The congregation was taking place at Daryapur village, 40 km from Chingrawati outpost, the epicentre of mob violence on Monday.

“Ijtema event was proposed to take place on December 1, 2 and 3. Due to increase in crowd on December 1, a notice was issued to the organiser of the congregation. Again on December 2, a notice was issued as tendency for increasing crowd continued,” said Anuj Jha, DM, Bulandshahr. He added that the permission was granted for a gathering of two lakh people, but the assembly grew to a strength of over 10 lakh.

On Monday the devotees were supposed to start returning at noon through Syana-Garh state highway on which Chingrawati village is located. The moment violence went out of control, the returning Muslims were diverted via Anupshahr town of the district, which saved the situation from turning further ugly.

Stay up to date on all the latest The Sunday Standard news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp