Bin Laden Son-in-law Found Guilty on US Terror Charges

Published: 26th March 2014 10:12 PM  |   Last Updated: 26th March 2014 10:13 PM   |  A+A-

By PTI

A New York jury has found Osama bin Laden's son-in-law, former Al-Qaeda spokesman Suleiman Abu Ghaith, guilty on three counts of conspiracy to kill Americans and supporting terrorists.

The 48-year-old preacher from Kuwait, whose three-week trial has been the most high-profile Al-Qaeda case to reach a US federal court, now faces life behind bars.

Abu Ghaith stood impassively as the court clerk read out of the verdict, declaring him guilty of conspiracy to kill Americans, conspiracy to provide material support and providing material support to terrorists.

Judge Lewis Kaplan said yesterday Abu Ghaith, who was brought to the United States only last year after being detained in Jordan, would be sentenced on September 8.

Campaigners seized on the trial as proof that terror detainees can face swift justice in civilian courts as pressure builds to close the Guantanamo Bay prison camp.

"There is to be no demonstration by anyone in the court room of any kind," Kaplan told the packed room after the 12-person jury took just four hours of deliberations to return the unanimous verdict.

Afterwards, Abu Ghaith touched his heart in thanks, smiling at his lawyers. Defense lawyer Stanley Cohen told reporters that he would

appeal the verdict, accusing the judge of being "coercive," and taking issue with instructions to the jury and Kaplan's decision not to allow presumed 9/11 plotter Khalid Sheikh Mohammed to testify in court.

He said his client was "stoic" and "at ease."

"He has confidence that this is not the end but the beginning. We think there are a number of compelling issues for an appeal," Cohen said.

US prosecutors had alleged Abu Ghaith was an Al-Qaeda insider and Bin Laden's right-hand man and inspired a new generation of terrorists as the group's main messenger after the 9/11 attacks.

Abu Ghaith denied the charges but is most famous for appearing with Bin Laden in a video on September 12, 2001 claiming the attacks on US targets that killed nearly 3,000 people the day before.

In follow-up videos, he threatened a "storm of airplanes," proof the government said that he was implicated in the December 2001 plot to blow up a transatlantic flight from Paris with a shoe bomb.

Stay up to date on all the latest World news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp