South China Sea Tensions Scuttle Asia Defence Chiefs Statement: US

Published: 04th November 2015 10:21 AM  |   Last Updated: 04th November 2015 10:21 AM   |  A+A-

By PTI

KUALA LUMPUR: A meeting of Asia-Pacific defence ministers has scrapped plans for a joint declaration after the Chinese delegation lobbied to block mention of Beijing's island-building activities in the disputed South China Sea, a US defence official said today.

"Our understanding is there will be no joint declaration," the official said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

The US official had said earlier that China was opposing mention in a joint statement of its construction of artificial islets capable of hosting military hardware and personnel, moves meant to reinforce its claims to virtually all of the strategic South China Sea.

Sino-US friction over the issue has spiked since last week, when the guided missile destroyer USS Lassen sailed within 12 nautical miles of at least one of the land formations in the disputed Spratly Islands. Washington felt that "in our view, no statement is better than one that avoids the important issue of China's (land) reclamation and militarisation in the South China Sea," the US official said on condition of anonymity.

Defence ministers from the 10-country Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) hosted an annual meeting with regional partners including the United States and China on Wednesday morning in Kuala Lumpur.

Beijing considers any criticism of its disputed claims and the island-building campaign as a challenge to its sovereignty.

The US official said "a number of ASEAN countries feltthat (it) was inappropriate" to exclude mention of the islands  impasse from an official statement.

"It reflects the divide China's reclamation and militarisation in the South China Sea has caused in the region," the official said.

The US insists it has freedom of navigation in the area but the USS Lassen  isit has angered China.

ASEAN defence ministers are meeting with US Defence Secretary Ashton Carter, China's Defence Minister Chang Wanquan and their counterparts from Russia, Australia and elsewhere in the region.

Carter told Chang in a meeting late Tuesday that the United States would continue to sail its vessels in waters that China claims.

Stay up to date on all the latest World news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp