Yemen cholera outbreak tops 3,00,000 suspected cases: ICRC

The International Committee of the Red Cross said the cholera epidemic "continues to spiral out of control" since it erupted in April.

Published: 10th July 2017 09:46 PM  |   Last Updated: 10th July 2017 09:46 PM   |  A+A-

Image used for representational purpose.

By PTI

GENEVA: A cholera outbreak in Yemen has now surpassed 300,000 suspected cases, the Red Cross said today as the war-torn country reels from disease as well as the threat of famine.

The International Committee of the Red Cross said the cholera epidemic "continues to spiral out of control" since it erupted in April. "Today, over 3,00,000 people are suspected to be ill. More than 1,600 have died," it said in a Twitter post. ICRC regional director Robert Mardini said about 7,000 new cholera cases were being recorded daily in the capital Sanaa and three other areas.

The collapse of Yemen's infrastructure after more than two years of war between the Saudi-backed government and Shiite rebels who control Sanaa has made for a "perfect storm for cholera", according to the World Health Organization.

Cholera is a highly contagious bacterial infection spread through contaminated food or water. Although the disease is easily treatable, doing so in Yemen has proved particularly difficult. The war has left less than half of the country's medical facilities functional. The WHO's own figures for the outbreak list 2,62,649 suspected cases and 1,587 deaths as of July 2, in 21 of 23 Yemeni governorates. It is expected to update those numbers shortly.

The battle against cholera has caused aid groups to pull resources away from fighting malnutrition among Yemen's war- weary people, raising the risk of famine as they struggle to find funds, a UN official warned last week.

Jamie McGoldrick, the UN's humanitarian coordinator in Yemen, said much of the USD 1.1 billion in aid pledged by donor governments in April to deal with the hard-pressed population's needs had yet to be disbursed, leaving relief agencies struggling to get their hands on new money. "Humanitarian organisations have had to reprogramme their resources away from malnutrition and reuse them to control the cholera outbreak," he said in Sanaa on Thursday. "And if we don't get these resources replaced, then using those resources for cholera will mean that food insecurity will suffer. "We're trying to do our best, but it's very much beyond what we can cope with." About 17 million people -- two-thirds of Yemen's population -- are uncertain of where their next meal will come from, according to the World Food Programme. 

Stay up to date on all the latest World news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp