Officials: US expects next North Korean missile launch soon

The US and other countries have often accused North Korea of using its space program as a cover for military advances.

Published: 22nd March 2017 03:23 AM  |   Last Updated: 22nd March 2017 03:23 AM   |  A+A-

White House press secretary Sean Spicer. | AP

By PTI

WASHINGTON: The US military expects another North Korean missile launch in the next several days, American defense officials have said. The officials said the US has increased its surveillance over the isolated, communist country and has seen a North Korean missile launcher moving around, as well as construction of VIP seating in the eastern coastal city Wonsan.

The officials, who weren't authorised to discuss the matter publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity, said the new surveillance includes satellites, drones and other aircraft. North Korea, which is banned by the UN from conducting long-range missile tests, says it is in the final stages of developing an intercontinental ballistic missile, fitted with a nuclear warhead, that could reach the US mainland. Experts say the North may be able to reach such capability in the next couple of years.

Earlier this month, Pyongyang fired off four ballistic missiles into the Sea of Japan, reportedly reaching within 200 kilometres of Japan's shoreline. On Saturday, it conducted a ground test of a new type of high-thrust rocket engine, which it hailed as a breakthrough for the country's space program. Leader Kim Jong Un said the test was to determine the engine's thrust power, but weapons experts say such technology also has applications for the North's ballistic missile program.

The US and other countries have often accused North Korea of using its space program as a cover for military advances. The US officials yesterday said it's unclear what type of missile launch may be coming. North Korea previously has conducted tests in Wonsan of its medium-range ballistic Musudan missile. North Korea has emerged as perhaps the Trump administration's most pressing national security concern, and the latest surveillance information comes as the US explores new diplomatic, security and economic measures to halt Pyongyang's nuclear and ballistic missile programs.

White House press secretary Sean Spicer yesterday described the North Korean threat as "grave and escalating." He said the US is coordinating its strategy with allies. Visiting the region last week, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson threatened North Korea with tougher sanctions, more pressure and possible military action. The North responded by saying it isn't frightened by U.S. threats.

Stay up to date on all the latest World news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp